Salsa Eating Salsa

They call me Salsa and I like eating salsa. Learning, exploring, obsessing, indulging-- home cooking, restaurant, high end or low end, I don't care-- I want to enjoy every meal every day.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Mom's roasted chicken

[munch munch]... the dish came out great... [smackety smack...] so good... [drool smack chomp mmm...] recipe at 11...

Update: The recipe could not be simpler. Before you poo-poo it for containing ketchup, understand that this isn't some "cream of mushroom soup" thing-- you'll never know it has ketchup in it.

  • Four to six chicken breast halves with bones and skin
    One onion, 1/4" dice
    1 1/2 C ketchup
    1/2 C water
    Seasoned salt (Lawry's, Tony Chachere's, etc.)
  • Season the chicken liberally with the seasoned salt, making sure to get plenty under the skin. Mix the onion, ketchup, and water in a baking dish. Smear some of the ketchup mix all over the chicken, and place the chicken in the dish, bones down.
  • Bake for 30 minutes at 350, then flip the chickens so the bones are up and bake for another 30 minutes.
  • Serve with rice and a salad or steamed broccoli. I go through a lot of rice once I start mixing it with the sauce.
This is the simplest version of the recipe-- it works well with a basic marinara instead of the ketchup, and I sometimes add a few cloves of garlic, chilies, and celery.

As for the technique, I wonder about the meat up/meat down sequence-- I've made it the other way, starting with the bones up, and I think the result is a little different. As long as the skin is intact, the meat will not dry out if it's facing up for the second half hour. Mom disagrees-- she says do it meat up, then meat down. Hmmm...

2 Comments:

  • At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like to use Stephanie's Salt Seasonings. It is all natural, no caking agents and no MSG. Here is the website-
    http://www.stephanieseasonings.com
    Enjoy

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Allen said…

    I prefer Stephanie’s Seasoned Salt, it is all natural and all purpose. It has no fillers, caking agents, sugar or MSG. It is available in Kosher Salt, Sea Salt, Lite (low sodium) Salt and Salt Substitute (no salt). And it tastes great on everything! Here is the website-
    http://www.stephanieseasonings.com
    Have a great day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home