Salsa Eating Salsa

They call me Salsa and I like eating salsa. Learning, exploring, obsessing, indulging-- home cooking, restaurant, high end or low end, I don't care-- I want to enjoy every meal every day.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Thai fried cashew with chicken dinner

For dinner, I put together a delicious dish of fried cashew with chicken using my trusty cook book from Baan Thai cooking school in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

1 smallish chicken breast, sliced thin
1/4 C raw cashews
~1 1/2 C oyster mushrooms, torn in strips
3 baby corns (or a small carrot)
1/2 large onion
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small bell pepper
1 green onion
1/2 t fish sauce
2 T oyster sauce
1 t sugar
2 T peanut oil

Heat the oil in the wok (er, pan) and fry the cashews until cooked, then remove. Add the garlic and chicken and mix it until the chicken is cooked. Add the onion and bell pepper, and cook for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and corn. When cooked, add the fish sauce, oyster sauce and sugar, and mix together. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the green onion and cashews. Serve over rice. I like to dribble sriracha on top for some heat.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger salsa said…

    No, the chicken stays in and doesn't overcook-- look for the chicken to be just _barely_ done before putting in the other vegetables, since they shouldn't take much longer.

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! this was the best! Do you have any other recipe's from this Baan Thai School cook book? Yum!
    I knew you knew what you were doing, when I saw you "dribbling sriracha on top." Oh Yeah!
    I spent time, for several years in thailand. Now I ive in the US, in what I consider a "Thai deprived Restaurant area" and it is SO EXCITING to be able to make my own good Thai food! Please e-mail me at myheartsingzz@yahoo.com if you have any other Thai recipes from this school to share. (Could you copy the book (B&W, skip the beautiful photos) and send it to me and I'll happily pay the copy place to copy it and postage AND I'll trade some YUM recipes back.(e-mail me and let me know)
    PS I tossed in about a 1/4 C of thai basil leaves with the onions and bell pepper. they may be hard to find if you don't have Thai groceries, ( I grab supplies when I'm in San Fran and wok it up til everything is gone or shriveled in my fridge. SMILE...
    Kap koon ma kah!
    Suzanne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home